Tuesday, December 21, 2010

November 2010 - birthdays!

November was ALL about birthdays! My and James' birthdays are just 9 days apart, so for the last two years we've been celebrating them together. This year was decidedly quieter than last - we still had the traditional (well, for James it's tradition) birthday curry but only invited a fraction of the number that we did last year, so the party was just under 10 versus the 25 or so last year. It was nicer though, b/c we could actually talk to everyone at the table. After dinner we went to an American-themed bar up the street and to my surprise they were playing the Ohio State game on their lone TV! I was so excited and promptly became very anti-social as I was mesmerised. They were playing Wisconsin and it was a close one - thankfully we won as I would have been devastated if we lost the one game I could actually watch.

We held the birthday curry between our two birthdays, so before that we had a small celebration for James' birthday, which happily was on a Saturday. When I asked him what he wanted to do on the day, he sent me an itinerary which included breakfast, at least two naps, a museum and a pub. I had to double check to be sure he was turning 29 and not 49, with a birthday like that! :) We had already booked breakfast at the Wolseley, a posh restaurant near Piccadilly (we went last year too) to celebrate both his birthday and the second anniversary of our meeting, which happened to be on his birthday too. The breakfast was delicious as usual, and I nearly had to be rolled out of the restaurant after my eyes were bigger than my stomach and I ordered the full serving of eggs benedict rather than half. Afterwards we returned home and took the first of the aforementioned naps, but not before I gave him his present - a voucher for a helicopter flying lesson. He hasn't taken it yet as I'm sure he'll want to wait for the weather to warm up, but I can't wait for him to do it. After the nap we met Iain and Sacha at the Imperial War Museum which was so well done and we all enjoyed it so much that we stayed until closing and missed the second nap! James didn't seem too bothered though as we headed straight to the pub for a few pints before making a fairly early night of it.

My birthday fell on a Monday, which I have decided is the worst day of the week to have a birthday, and I wish that I had decided to take the day off. However, I was planning on taking the entire month of December off instead, so the last bit of November was very busy trying to get as many loose ends tied off as possible. I did manage to leave at exactly 17.30 (the earliest in months), and James and I went shopping for a watch - his present to me. It took a while but I finally picked a nice one that wouldn't slip down my wrist (random but this was my number one priority as I get annoyed with watches that slide around on my wrist). Then he made me a nice dinner AND did the dishes! (usually we share the duties)

Other than work and birthdays, I did do a few other things of note in November - James and I went to the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibit at the Natural History Museum for the second year in a row. The photos were amazing but overall I liked last year's collection better. We also went to a couple of concerts in the last two weeks of the month - Jimmy Eat World and Frightened Rabbit (this was actually on 1 December but hey). Jimmy is one of James' favourite bands so he loved that show. I thought it was good as well, but I definitely liked Frightened Rabbit better, although the venue wasn't as good for the show and I couldn't see very well. The band who opened for them was called Admiral Fallow - we liked every one of their songs and decided to buy the album, and then purchased tickets to their next show in London! Not often that happens with an opening band, but they were particularly good. Frightened Rabbit was superb - they really changed the way they played most of their songs so that the show was a different experience than listening to the album.

That's about it for November, mostly a lot of work in preparation for my month o' holiday in December - more on that in the next entry!

Heather xoxo

No comments: