Wednesday, May 5, 2010

March 2010 - markets and musings

March was a fairly busy month at work so not a lot to write about. I did, however, finally buy myself a Nintendo Wii (off of my colleague for a steal!), so I've been playing a lot. The best part is that I beat James in just about every game, other than soccer which I just can't be bothered to learn all of the controls.

James and I spent one weekend in March exploring some of the markets in London. On Saturday we went to Borough market, which is a fairly famous one where you find every type of food and drink you could imagine. Except for cheez-its though, of course. It was amazing though - just walking through the market and seeing and smelling all of the deliciousness was heavenly. I decided that I want to take my family there when they come to visit this summer - I think mom and grandma would especially enjoy seeing foods you don't usually get in the States. I ended up buying some fresh spices (tex-mex and chipotle for Mexican cooking!), and a heavenly raspberry tart when I was feeling a bit peckish. Have I ever used that word on my blog? It's an English phrase for hungry. I really wanted to get some cheese but could never decide which to buy, there were so many! The vendors would have those giant cheese wheels behind their stands and they would just cut some straight off. There was also a stand selling ostrich meat - I couldn't believe how expensive it was! It did look very lean and tasty though.

The next day we went to a couple markets within walking distance of my flat - Columbia Road market which is for flowers, and Brick Lane market. Columbia Road was so crowded it was not enjoyable, and I haven't been back. I suppose it's good for florists b/c most of the flowers were sold by the type, rather than in arrangements. I'm not that great at making the arrangement myself, and in that crowd all I wanted to do was choose and leave, but in the end I found a very nice ready-made bouquet. We have been to Brick Lane market several times, and it is mostly just junk, but it's fun to have a walk around and see what you can find. The area where I live now is very eclectic and edgy and dodgy in some bits, but I really love it.

That's kind of how I feel about London in general - there are some things that I could do without and at times I downright hate, but overall I love it and am so glad I made the choice to come here. There are times when I get fed up with the smelly streets and noise, but then I reflect that it's all just part of the hustle and bustle and excitement of the city. I do feel that I've become a bit jaded from the city though - sometimes I realise that I'm rushing from place to place without stopping to enjoy the ride, and I have found myself at times bumping into people and not apologising, since no one else ever does. I often times relish the thought of moving away to the country-side where you actually get to know your neighbours and have green space to roam, but I reckon I would get rather bored after a month of green and quiet. Someday I will move from London, but I bet it will be having kids that gives me the motivation to do it, b/c I wouldn't be able to afford a big enough flat for kids if nothing else! It's so convenient in London too - everything that you could every want to see/do/need is here somewhere. Except cheez-its and Chipotle. I love being in one of the cities that gets referenced in magazines - in the States they always talk about shops and restaurants to go to in Chicago, New York, and LA which didn't really help much in KC, you know? I think I'm finally really settled in here - making friends and feeling comfortable being an American in London. It took longer than any of the other moves in my life, but then again I suppose it was the biggest one, and the first on my own.

Living in another country (even one as similar to the States as Britain is) really opens your eyes and your heart as well. You gain perspective on Americans in ways that you had never thought of, both in negative (we really ARE terribly fat, poorly travelled and over-worked as compared to other western cultures) and positive ways (we're patriotic, not in the crazy skinhead way, just that we truly believe that our country is a great place to be from, and are proud of it). Americans are also more self-reliant - Britain is called a nanny state for a reason after all. Of course this self-reliance is probably the reason that most Americans have a warped perception of work-life balance and are chained to their desks - we believe you make your own destiny.

I've also enjoyed getting to know people from different races and religions - it has been especially interesting to make friends who are Hindu and Muslim, it's intriguing to me to learn about their religions and observe their devotion toward their gods. It definitely makes you more tolerant and less intimidated by other races and religions when you get to know them better.

I'll stop musing and leave it at that - April's entry will be more exciting and less philosophical, I promise.

Heather xoxo

No comments: