Monday, September 15, 2008

First day at GT London

The first day at work was a bit overwhelming but it was good to get going nonetheless. My favorite part was when four of my new co-workers took me to lunch and we had a glass of beer. Like this is a commonplace thing here in the UK, to have a drink over lunch. I have a feeling my British friends and colleagues are going to be able to drink me under the table.

Other noted differences from the GTKC office: No one has an office, not even partners. They have sections in the corners that are half-walled off with glass, but there are 3-4 of them that sit in this area at small desks. Everyone below manager level sits in the hot desk area, commonly called the "play pen", which is an area with long desk/tables where people just sit down anywhere and work. Like hoteling except it's not even a cube. So everyone complaining about space in Kansas City, stop right now and be thankful for the vast amount of space that you do have. I somehow got lucky (how does it keep happening that I get my own space at work when nobody else does??) and I have my own desk. Actually, I think it's b/c I'm kind of taking over for the last US secondee and he had the desk. Also, I do have to wear a suit, or something very close to a suit, everyday. Good thing I was on Russell Stover and went shopping for a few more before I left.

There are 252 people in the audit dept. in my office, which is the second largest office in London of the four. My office has its own building, called Grant Thornton House, and has nine floors. Also, another US secondee confirmed today that the UK work schedule is much better than the US - she said she only worked one Saturday last busy season! (I know all of you GTKC people are groaning right now). And the best bit - we get paid for anything over 37.5 hours a week, and always for any work on the weekend. So yeah, I might never come back. :) One of the staff here actually made the comment today that he had been working "American hours" on a tough client that he was on, how sad is that?

Hope you all are well, I miss you!

Cheers,
Heather

1 comment:

Barry said...

Hi Heather,

Chris sent me your web page so I thought I would drop a line. Hope everything is going well "across the pond". Sounds like it is. Tell Mom Missy is going to check on the stuff in her fridge tomorrow. The power went out sometime Sunday but Mr. Stout said it came back on about Midnight Monday. Also tell her her pool should be ok and that Rosie is doing fine. Email me sometime if you like, bstreet19@roadrunner.com

Later,

Barry